Friday 26 February 2016

New Family Member! HUGO the Guinea Pig.

Dear Diary,

We adopted a Guinea pig!
Saw this post that 4 Guinea pigs were up for adoption at the Facebook group, "Proud Owners of Guinea Pigs Singapore". I wanted to keep a Guinea pig since i was young but i kept too many pets. I had rabbits, Gerbils, a lot a lot of hamsters (they reproduce fast!), fishes, tortoise, etc. Seriously, i love animals. I didn't have the courage to own a Guinea pig until i saw the post that someone is giving up their Guinea pigs. I was thinking, since i wanted one, might as well i contribute to save 1.
Commitments and all run into my head and i finally took the courage and decided to adopt one.

The ex owner asked me a few questions and she also asked if she can come for house visit. I was actually quite turn off by the house visit thing as i feel uncomfortable allowing a stranger into my house. So i declined. Was thinking, after i declined, this adoption might be impossible already so i didn't went to think about it. Until at night the ex owner agreed that no house visit is fine. I was quite surprised though. So of cuz i went to go grab all the stuff to welcome the new member to the family!

Went to Pet Lover Center to look for stuffs for the Guinea pig, Wanted to DIY a cage for him but realized it was not possible now. More feasible to get a cage instead as i may not know how does a Guinea pig live. Spent a total of about $150 for the accessories and necessity. Cage, Food, Hay, Food bowl, Hideout (must), Hay ball, shampoo, body spray.... ok, all in.

Went to collect the Guinea pig. His ex owner named him Baby. I intended to change his name. He looked scared and he was shivering. I took him in my arms, he was shaking. He didn't trust me. The ex owner didn't gave anything, other than his medication for his foot (rash). Carried him in his empty box pass by the ex owner as she said my box that i prepared was too small. (i seriously thought that my box was perfectly fine!) but she said too small so i just took her box, He was shaking and pee-ed twice in the car. The box wasn't a steady box, so the pee leaked. Lucky Daddy Bumver was understanding enough and didn't get angry. When we reached the car park, I transferred into my box that i prepared. Seriously the size was good. Should have just use my box in the first place. O well, I brought him home and i re-named him, Hugo.

First held Hugo. He was scared 


The whole process of adopting is quite saddening. Reminds me of the time when i helped to foster Dino, The Chihuahua. When i took him away from his ex owner, he shivered and he couldn't trust me but he didn't have a choice. Brought him home and he didn't know what to do! I teared seeing them being hurt. I wouldn't want to judge why they give up their furkids due to family commitments or personal reasons. No matter what, i believe that family stick together. I m not in their position and i may not know what they are going thru that the decision is to give up what they claimed they loved. It must be hard for them i guess? If i loved someone, something or anything, i will hold them tight and never let go.

Anyway, Hugo was doing fine till date he is trying his best to warm up with the girls. The girls are trying to understand him as well. After all, Hugo is another animal which bb and clover never seen before. I believe they will just get along fine. Hugo is gentle and he is very timid. He loves carrots and he can eat non stop! I did a lot of research on food and fruits that he can eat. Fed him his daily amount of veg to let him gain confidence in me.

The First introduction.

Getting comfortable

Today, their friendship grew stronger


There is still a long way to go Hugo! But don't worry, you have Bumbie and Clover as your sisters! Even though they are not the same as you but all of us share 1 similar thing, our heart beats. We don't have to be blood related to be family. Family comes in different sizes, Welcome to our Bumver family!

Love,

Mummy Bumver.

No comments:

Post a Comment